Pages

Friday, November 22, 2013

its friday nightt

...and I had so much fun writing my other "things that make me happy" post, I think I want to do another one! This time: BEER. Specifically, IPA's. Here's my personal favs in case you were wondering what to order tonight ;)










Before we get started, a few terms just in case. IBU = International Bitterness Units

Bear Republic / Racer 5 IPA / California / 7% ABV / 99 on Ratebeer

I I discovered Racer 5 at The Counter when I was living in Los Angeles this summer, and was thrilled to find it in many liquor stores here in Boston as well.  It's a hoppy, floral masterpiece that so perfectly balances sweetness and bitterness, its no wonder it got an almost perfect score on ratebeer. Its full bodied with a combination of both aromatic, floral hops and some that are more bitter and herbal, creating its distinct flavor. (I did some research for this post about hops, heres a link to a quick run down if you're interested!)If you're having spicy food tonight, especially, this pairs perfectly. I, for one, will soon be ordering Wings Over and cracking one of these myself. 

Sierra Nevada / Torpedo Extra IPA / Chico, California / 7.2% ABV / 98 on Ratebeer

Just look at those hops! I get this beer a lot at the BU Pub. I'm pretty sure the pale ale was the first beer my dad let me try when we we were visiting family in Concord for the Fourth (my favorite holiday!). Torpedo is so hoppy and bitter, but easy to drink. They balance out the hops with a bit of citrus and tropical fruity overtones. I'm a huge fan of hops, clearly, but I know that sometimes when there is a strong hop flavor it can be a bit intense to drink. Not Torpedo, though. It's named for the "Hop-Torpedo", a dry-hopping device that controls how much of the hoppy flavor is worked into the beer without overdoing the bitterness. So they kept in mind the balance and drinkability, making a smooth, savory beer that can be enjoyed year-round. 








Crooked Line Detour Double IPA / Unita Brewing Co / Salt Lake City, UT / 9.5% ABV / 97 on Ratebeer

This is what I like to get when I'm feeling fancy. Its $8 for about two glasses, but its worth every penny. The "double" in the name refers to the double strength and extra helping of hops used in the brewing process. This is less sweet than Torpedo and Racer 5, but...those hops. Its got such a distinct, interesting, strong flavor that I just can't get enough of. Detour has four different hops to boost the flavor that extra level. Its perfect to have with dinner, especially, again, with spicy foods (my wings have been ordered, by the way), or for a low key night in with friends. This is a beer to savor and enjoy out of a fancy glass with a delicious meal. So get that fancy glassware, invite your favorite people over and pop the cork!







I'm always curious to find more delicious beers to drink, and to broaden my knowledge! Any recommendations would be welcome!

And with that, have a great Friday everyone! Stay tuned for a post on our hike in western Massachusetts tomorrow! And for more great blog posts head over to my good friend Allyn's blog Crafty Brews! Cheers :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment