Pages

Monday, November 25, 2013

...but if you have a car...

...there are a couple more places I highly recommend going that are closer to Boston. (Distances are mapped from "Boston, MA"). Because sometimes we don't feel like waking up super early or driving super far but still want to get out into nature a bit.

Walden Pond / 32 minutes / I-90 W, I-95 N

I did an extensive post on Walden as my very first post on this blog, so for more detail on this lovely getaway check that out. But for now, Walden is a great place to go for a stroll through the woods and some fresh, fresh air. Walden is a great place to go in the fall especially, but any time is a good time to explore Thoreau's old haunt. There is an easy loop around the pond, and there are often people swimming in the water! It was a bit chilly when I went, but once the weather warms up I would love to try that out myself. Maybe in the spring!








Noanet Woodlands / 33 minutes / I-90 W, I-95 S

noanet woodlands
The hike to Noanet Peak is a great one. It's not too steep, not too rocky, and ends at a really spectacular view - you can just barely make out Boston from the Summit. This is another great place for a casual day hike - make your way up to the summit (not a strenuous hike at all), bring sandwiches - or, dare I say it, a beer! - and supplies to the top and have a picnic! The fun thing about Noanet, too, is that there is an Old Mill that has been preserved. The trail maps clearly mark how to find it, and its definitely worth the walk over. Noanet is also another one of those places I think could be perfect for any season; when we went it was beautiful, and the trees were still bare with a blanket of leaves on the ground.  Once the flowers come up and everything is green I bet it looks spectacular. But I also think that the woods would look just as good covered in a blanket of snow of awash with fall colors. And, like I said,  the hike to Noanet Peak isn't too tough. It wouldn't be impossible to tackle if there was still a little snow on the ground. Suffice it to say Noanet is more than worth the short drive.









Middlesex Fells Reservation / 16 minutes / I-93 N

The coolest part about Middlesex Fells is how big it is. Not all of it is necessarily what you'd call a "hike", its more of a series of trails through woods surrounding several enormous reservoirs. The trails range from small roads to tiny, winding dirt pathways. There were steep areas, but it really depends on what you are looking for. It's hard to capture Middelsex Fells in one picture - at one point we were on a rocky trail up a pretty steep hill and another we were strolling across a levy next to one of the reservoirs. So basically, it has something for everyone. At one point, we took a side trail towards one of the bigger reservoirs. We ended up finding some rocks by the water, and stopped for a while to enjoy the view and, of course, some snacks we brought along. (Sidenote, A chow chow came up to us out of nowhere, and that was my childhood dog! Quite a coincidence...). But the absolute best part of this place is that the first thing you come upon after parking - at least where we did - is a massive dog park. There were probably 50 dogs running around in a giant field when we got there. (Continuing sidenote, everyone else saw their childhood dogs as well.) My best advice is to go to Middlesex Fells on a clear, sunny day and take a stroll through the woods. Explore the side trails, and get close to the water. And meet a bunch of cute dogs.


No comments:

Post a Comment